Tuesday, April 20, 2010

the quintessential Washington weekend

It's official! We live in Washington, DC (ok, well not technically, but still inside the beltway) :)

We moved in all of Bryan's stuff and have bought some furniture, but it is still a process as we are moving my stuff down little by little hoping to be finished by the time I leave for my deployment.

We spent our first weekend doing some pretty touristy things. First, we joined Chris and Kristen on the National Mall for the Cherry Blossom Festival. We walked all the way around the tidal basin enjoying the beautiful trees. It was such an amazing day!







Kristen and me with Paddles, the mascot of the Cherry Blossom Festival
(Paddles says, please don't pick the blooms)


After the festival we walked a long, long, long, long (seriously, it was long) way to meet up with more friends to go to the Nationals v Red Sox last spring training game.
It was a perfect spring day (and I had the sunburn to prove it)
(pictures from the festival and baseball courtesy of Chris Anderson)

On Sunday, Bryan and I went to National Cathedral for Easter Sunday service. It was an incredible experience. You have to get passes to get into the service. When I called, I was told to go to the Episcopal Church House to get passes (just to the right of the Cathedral). He says, "Look for the red door." Ha, as I know from being raised Episcopalian, all the doors are red!! Needless to say, it was a mad house there on Sunday morning more than an hour before the service was set to start. I was walking to get out place in line and knew I needed to find the red door to get our passes- I thought there wasn't any way we would get in, there were sooo many people. I walked up to a man who was walking in my direction and asked him where he had gotten his passes. He asked me how many I needed and I said that I needed two. He then handed his passes to me and said, "here, take these". I couldn't beleive it, I was so happy, I asked him if he was sure and he was. Truly a blessing!!
The service was perfect, all the great Easter hymns that I have sung my whole life... they even had gluten-free wafers at Communion for (as Bryan calls them) the wheat-conscious :)
It was a whirlwind weekend, but the perfect way to start out time here!!
Cheers!
Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment