Friday, September 11, 2009

Random Acts of Homemaking

So each time Bryan comes to visit, I try out a new dessert recipe and let him try it. For his last trip I made a peach custard pie which he says he liked, but I am not sure I believed him :) For his Labor Day trip I made an Apple upside-down pie. You can find the recipe here. Of course what I made looks nothing like the picture, but Bryan ate it up. The recipe said to fold the crust over the sides, but as you can see in the picture that creates a crease all the way around, so I think next time I make it, i'll bring the bottom crust up over the top one (which ends up being the bottom once you flip it, does that make sense?).

I seem to practice homemaking in manic spurts. I'll pick a recipe, prepare it, and then while whatever's cooking is cooking, I do laundry, clean the bathroom, the kitchen, the living room- whatever else needs to be done. My back usually ends up killing me by the time everything is finished, but I feel accomplished! I am just trying now to learn and cultivate the skills i'll need for later ;)

More to come!
Maryel

1 comment:

  1. ah! im so proud of you!!!!!!! what are you talking about?! this looks great!

    I've been trying out different cookie recipes here and there lately, changing around stuff...i figure you def cant go wrong with cookies.

    Have you tried just the classic pecan pie yet? Aunt Judy taught me how last year, its very simple (no blind baking of the pie crust or anything, just put it all together and throw it in the oven for an hour or so, fool proof)

    so I made mom's meat sauce last night (you know the kind she soups up from out of the prego jar thats really sweet and has all kinds of stuff going on in it and she usually throws it over pasta or puts it in the lasagna?)...anyway it came out soooooooo good! you have to make it for you and Bryan, he will love it, not only the taste but the nostalgia of "mama harding's recipe." When I made it, it honestly tasted like home, it was so awesome!

    I gotta start testing out macaroons i suppose....
    I was thinking i can also make all different kinds of chocolate truffles too, but i wans't sure if you were a truffle fan...

    well im off to check out more stuff you sent my way, love you sister!

    and again, so very very proud!

    ReplyDelete