Monday, June 21, 2010

0427 (Al Udeid time)

Flying into Al Udeid was one of the most amazing things I have ever seen. It was pitch black darkness for the longest time and then every so often we would see the oil refinery flames. Then all of a sudden the plane took a turn to the right and I could see the glow of a larger town up ahead. We past that town and turned right again. The darkness is split up be very long, very straight, and all alone two lane roads with lights that connect everything.
After we landed we processed through everything. The heat here is indescribable. People try to warn you how hot it is, but it is such a unique heat. Texas was hot... hot enough to have sweat rolling down my face. Florida is hot, but the Gulf breeze was always cool. South Dakota was hot in July with 105 degrees blowing in your face, but it was dry, like a furnace. Middle of the night in Qatar, 90 degrees. It hits you in the face the moment you get off the plane. Really, its not that you sweat from the heat, its that its so humid your body catches all of the moisture in the air and you feel soaked. Everytime I walk from an air conditioned building outside my glasses fog up :)
This picture is our group waiting for the bus to take us to lodging to get our linen and transient tent assignments. Since the sun was already rising, I decided to get to my tent, go eat breakfast (yummy omelette and yogurt), then I went and took a shower and brushed my teeth (ah, now I feel like a human again). Then it was off to find some wi-fi.

1 comment:

  1. You look fabulous - don't notice a drop of sweat. Looking forward to seeing you on-line soon.

    ReplyDelete