Monday, July 5, 2010

Weekend 1 of 27- Different shades of beige

The transient tents of Al Udeid Air Base, Qatar at 0300 in the morning. Got up to catch our 0900 flight to Baghdad.

Checking out of lodging and turning in our linen... 0400.

Everything here is beige. Even the sky... 0600


Me all buckled up and ready for the 3 and half hour flight to Baghdad on a lovely C-130... 0900

Other folks alseep on the C-130 with the baggage in the back.
The descent on this aircraft was totally nuts, exactly like a rollercoaster except you can't see whats going on out side the plane. I was literally holding on to my seat. Thanked the Lord when we landed on the ground.
After we landed, we in-processed with the air force folks at Sather Air Base which shares a flightline with Baghdad International Airport. Tom, the captain I replaced picked me up and we drove over to the Palace on the other side of Victory Base Complex to look around and meet folks. Jet lag was insane so I tried to make it through and have him start training me on stuff but my brain wasn't really working. I checked into my Containerized Housing Unit (CHU), my trailer, and fell fast asleep and pretty much worked and slept for the next few days to get myself on a schedule.
I'm here. It's hot. I miss home. But I know I have a purpose here.





No comments:

Post a Comment